Saturday, January 28, 2012

A change is as good as a rest.

Much time was spent inside today. First was the task of tidying my desk. I decided a change was due so I've moved my desk around and I now face a different wall but this time I have a window to my right so I can gaze out the window when I get a case of writers block! I also built a little shelf in my bedroom and mounted some old kitchen door handles on the wall to hang my necklaces from. I have a little stand for my earrings and now they're not swamped with strings and pendants. So boosted was I by the shelf construction that I measured up for the tv surround I've been meaning to make for a while. Dad helped me construct it as he has a table saw at his work. While there I also lay out the kitchen cupboards and found that they are in fact quite conveniently sized. Two of the units only need very minor modifications. I'm thrilled that in the next couple of weeks I may have two new units on the wall. I'm starting up high and will tackle the mind-draining lower units (which need constructing from scratch) for a later time.

I went to my parent's house for dinner again. On the menu this time was fresh Snapper. I'm slowly introducing seafood into my diet after having been a vegetarian for the last year. I have also decided that wild meat may also fit with my values so I'm considering re-introducing wild pork, goat and venison to the menu. I've already had some bunny this year. I hate the thought of a "pest" being shot and then wasted. Pigs and goats are considered pests at certain times of the year by my farmer-lover, bunnies are always on the target list. Occasionally deer are also on the list. So if anything is shot and would otherwise be wasted point it in my direction.

I went through the motions with the chooks and horses and realised that I've been so caught up in the chooks that my best pal and constant companion hasn't had much of a mention yet. Hoby.

HOBY is my best mate in the whole world. He's this woman's best friend and has been for about ten years although. He was already between 2-4 years of age when he came into my life and at that time he was living as a hobo, going from place to place making friends and scavenging for food. Nothing much has changed, I'm his permanent traveling companion now and he travels by car some of the time too now, he still makes friends, not easily but he does still make friends and he continues to be a master scavenger! Now he has his own bed, food and water bowls, toys and a mega expensive enclosure which he stays in when I'm out. He gets guaranteed meals every day and he even gets Christmas presents. Hoby is getting to his twilight years now, he has trouble seeing and hearing but he still shows the most enthusiasm I've ever seen in a dog for a game of flinger. I love Hoby with all of my heart and he is a pleasure to be around, we've got a great routine going and when I'm away from him I feel like a part of  me is missing. He came with dad and I to the factory to construct the tv cabinet and tinker with the kitchen cabinets. Everywhere I went Hoby was beside me. He watched me constantly and dad commented on how loyal and attentive he is. I spread out a blanket for him to lay on and he snoozed with one ear up the whole time. It is moments like this that I am so thankful to have such a cool companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment