Well what a day, full of highs and lows. Dashed home first thing this morning to let out the chooks and feed them so I could race back for my work meeting (yes, work meeting during my holiday!) then caught up with workmates for gossip sesh then to ma and pa's again for lunch. After that I went to visit my best friend and her family who were all hard a work constructing a hen house. Had a fantastic afternoon being educated on the lives of Shark Boy and Lava Girl or should I say girrrl as Sam definitely pronounces the rolling "r" the same way her mum does. Little James was sitting next to me on the couch, I commented on the giant cookie that Lava Girl and Shark Boy were riding and he started to shudder, at first I thought it was the telltale sign of a little underpants accident so I exclaimed "are you doing wee's?" but then he said in a very little voice "a giant cookie" to which I then concluded that his reaction was one of excitement as he has a bit of a sweet tooth but alas, nay, t'was terror that gripped the wee darling. Apparently riding giant cookies down rivers of milk is a terrifying concept for a 3 year old.
So after a brilliant afternoon of chatting with Kim and the kids, oh, and meeting Gary the snail, I headed home.At home there was a sickening lack of feathered friends in their usual spot. I panicked. But as I continued down the driveway a few came out from the bush area, all looking very cautious, including Miss Biggie-B (Berlina). I did the customary head count and two were missing, oh no, little Henny not my little Henny! And Maud, darling Maud! I was calling out and searching and then found the remains of Maud, poor Maud, two piles of feathers and then her lifeless chewed body. The same scene as when I found Cluxy's body last month, two big piles of feathers and then a body. I knew that I wouldn't find little Henny as she'd just be a gulp for a dog. I did the usual call to the Animal Control and then walked up the road to see if there were any signs of the dogs but I knew there wouldn't be, they'd have been moved by now. I'm so sad, angry and frustrated that this keeps happening.
So rest in peace my lovely little ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment